Trick or Treating Times
Trick or Treat hours around DeKalb County are all on Halloween this year, which is this Monday, October 31st. Be sure to have your children go in groups of 3 or more and as always, be aware of their surroundings. Remember to have your candy on hand too!
The following communities have Trick or Treat hours from 4pm – 8pm: DeKalb, Sycamore, Kirkland, Cortland, Malta, Kingston, Waterman and Hinckley.
The following communities have Trick or Treat hours from 4pm – 7pm: Genoa, Somonauk, Sandwich and Shabbona.
There is no real “trick” to making Halloween a real treat for the entire family. The major dangers are not from witches or spirits but rather from falls and pedestrian/car crashes. Halloween is such a fun time of year for kids and adults alike, so its important that we take some precautions to keep it that way! Following is a list of trick or treating tips for your family.
- Wear comfortable shoes!!
- Make sure costumes don’t drag on the ground
- Carry a flashlight
- Only carry flexible props
- Wear something with a reflector on it.
- Go out before dark-especially for little ones. The big kids tend to flood the streets later at night making it hard for little ones to trick or treat.
- Never go into a strangers house, even if they ask you to come in while they go and get some candy.
- Throw away all homemade or unwrapped treats.
- When walking down the street, have the adult walk closest to the road, and the children closest to the houses.
- Do not run ahead of the adults-its very easy for children to get carried away and accidentally run into the road.
- Do not pet strange animals while trick or treating.
- Do not eat candy as you go.
- Always be nice, even when people do not have any candy to give out.
- Do not knock on doors where the lights are off.
- Watch where you step!